Thursday, April 21, 2011

Miri - things I would miss


 

Spending my last day at the office – doing it in the most leisure way. Sure gonna miss it badly. Internet access, Wi-Fi, boss not bothering too much… what else? See? I told you I have got way to cosy with the same routine that I know how and when to 'mengulat'. Enjoy it while you can… hehe =)

Since I don't have much to do, I've decided to write some notes on things that I would miss about Miri.

Nasi Lalapan + Teh C Peng Special

Let me elaborate more about this, since I plan to get a set for dinner this evening. Those who come to Miri, it's a must try! Well it is not originally from Miri, but Miri is famous for this Lalapan. It is basically a set of meal with deep-fry chicken (or you can choose between meat, fish or prawn) + ulam + fried tofu & tempe + sambal belacan. It is more like 'ayam penyet', what make it special is the sambal belacan. I love it! It has tomatoes and onion in it. I learnt from Siti, my x-housemate in Senadin – just sauté all ingredients (chillies, belacan, onion and tomatoes) than mash or blend them. Add salt, sugar and lime @ calamansi juice to taste. Simple kan? Try Lalapan with Teh C Peng Special, it's a great combo. It is actually 'teh ais' with some twist in it. Also known as 3-layer tea (read it once in GoTravel magazine), it has palm sugar, ideal milk (susu cair) and tea; served in layers. Sometime the palm sugar is replaced with 'gula pandan', but trust me – palm sugar taste better. It tastes like 'cendol' without 'cendol', and the ideal milk make it creamier but less sweet.

Midin

Midin is a type of vegetable from fern family. As Miri is located on delta area, it is available almost everywhere at the local market. If in West Malaysia, we have 'pucuk paku', in Miri we have many kind of 'pucuk paku' with different shape. They taste most likely the same. The different is they only sell the shoot, arranged nicely in small basket, cost about RM1 @ RM2 each. Just wash clean the veggie and ready to cook. Save the prep time.

Kek Lapis Sarawak – of course Sarawak is well known for its layer cake with fancy names and nice rainbow colour.

Ikan Terubok Masin

Available throughout the year and so cheap compare to West Malaysia. Well I am not a big fan but always got order from my sisters everytime I balik kampong. And they made the packaging so convenience for you to travel with.

Laksa Sarawak

It is totally different from Laksa Penang @ Johor as there is no fish at all. For me it tastes more like curry noodle. I've cooked it at home once and my families like it – or is it because there were hungry waiting for me to prepare the meals.

The batik & handicraft

I like the sarong as the design is different from Malay sarong. And I love the craft too, especially the bags.


 

Two years in Miri, I have collected so many memories that could never be erased. Yes I have achieved one of my goal – to come to work in Borneo island. This is the place where I started my career, and the place where I met my fiancée. Hoping a better brighter future awaits me as I move on and on and on.

Goodbye Miri~


 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment